Transplant Production – Four Keys to Successful Transplant Production
Consider the materials.
- Analyze the water source and manage alkalinity.
- Select a uniform, high-quality growing medium with a low and well-mixed nutrient charge.
- Consider tray design.
- Use seeds with high germination rates and acceptable pelleting materials.
Promote uniform emergence.
- Sow seeds during sunny periods.
- Fill trays uniformly.
- Place seeds uniformly (in the center of the dibble).
- Provide a warm temperature (68 to 70°F at night).
- Control ants and mice.
Promote uniform growth.
- Monitor fertilizer salts in the medium and leach with water from overhead when necessary.
- Continue to analyze water and manage alkalinity when necessary.
- Clip properly.
- Manage insects and diseases.
Prevent stand loss.
- Provide proper ventilation and airflow to prevent heat injury.
- Avoid early seeding, high nitrogen rates, and hot daytime temperatures that promote stem rot diseases.
- Fumigate trays with methyl bromide or purchase new trays.
Page Last Updated: 6 years ago
Was the information on this page helpful?