2018 NC State Tobacco Tour
We’re pleased to announce that the 2018 NC State University Tobacco Tour has been scheduled and that registration is now open! We look forward to the event!
Monday, July 23
- 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. – Organic Cropping Systems Field Day
Location: Rob Glover Farm, 10762 Liles Road, Bailey, NC 27807
This year the Organic Cropping Systems Field Day will be held at Rob Glover’s farm in Nash County. The farm produces tobacco, sweet potatoes, tobacco transplants, sweet potato slips and broccoli. Discussion of all these crops as well as current production practices across the state will occur and will be followed by lunch and a word from organic buyers. The event will be led by the various organic research programs at North Carolina State University. To register, please follow the link below (please note that the registration link is for the organic field day ONLY):
- 3:30 to 5:00 p.m. – Tobacco Curing Demonstration and UAV Diagnostic Overview
Location: Vick Family Farms, 11124 Christian Road, Wilson, NC 27896
-Heat Recovery Systems and Turning Vane Assessments, Dr. Grant Ellington and Justin Macialek, Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering
-UAV Diagnostic Overview for Tobacco Production, Josh Henry, PhD Student, Department of Crop and Soil Sciences & Department of Horticultural Science
- 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. – Tobacco Tour Welcome Reception
Location: Wilson County Elks Lodge, 2814 Fieldstream Drive, Wilson, NC 27896
-A cash bar will be open from 5:30 to 6:00, with food being served around 6:00. Please use the registration link at the bottom of the page to register for this event.
- Hotels are available in North Raleigh (Crabtree Valley Mall area) and Oxford (I-85/Hwy 96 area) for those intending to stay in the area. Hotel blocks will not be reserved by NC State University.
Tuesday, July 24
- 8:15 to 9:00 a.m. – Tour Breakfast
Location: Oxford Tobacco Research Station, 901 Hillsboro Street, Oxford, NC 27565
- 9:00 to 11:45 a.m. – Tour of Research Plots on Station (Oxford)
-Load trams and depart from Main Office Area at 9:00 a.m.
-Tour stops will include: sprayer cleanout/contamination issues, OVT/Minimum Standards program, drip irrigation demonstration, foliar fungicide efficacy trial, simulated drift of auxin herbicides, and herbicide screening evaluations.
- 11:45 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. – Tour Luncheon
-Depart research station at 1:00 p.m. to travel to the Upper Coastal Plain Research Station near Rocky Mount.
-Address: 2811 Nobles Mill Pond Road, Rocky Mount, NC 27801
- 2:45 to 5:00 p.m. – Tour or Research Plots on Station (Rocky Mount)
-Tour stops will include: Black Shank OVT, OVT/Minimum Standards, organic nitrogen source evaluation, legume cover crop demonstration, and entomology efficacy trials.